Murder in Texas: Love, Sex and Betrayal. The Shelia Dillard-Jennifer Lewis Story…and the $300 Hitman!

This longform true crime case is By Clarence Walker (

Editor’s Note: Jupiter Entertainment,  a  U. S.-based production company is currently working on producing the Shelia Dillard-Jennifer Lewis murder story into a TV cable episode for TVONE Fatal Attraction program. The episode is scheduled for a later date.

Tuesday evening, March 23rd, 1993, 27-year-old Jennifer Lewis and Cheryl Allen, both nursing students headed to class at Houston Community College of Health Career Professionals, a highly respected medical training center in Houston Texas– located in the 3100 block of Shenandoah street, an area of Third Ward near North Macgregor and interstate freeway 288. Cheryl later graduated.

But Jennifer Lewis never achieved the academic goal she anxiously desired because a lone gunman shot her down in cold blood in that evening as witnesses watched.

On this dreadful evening 20 years ago, Cheryl parked her vehicle in the school’s parking lot, then Cheryl joined Jennifer as they strolled towards the entrance building. As Jennifer and Cheryl strolled along chatting they saw students on the campus ground waiting to be picked up for transport to their destination.

As Cheryl and Jennifer crossed the street towards the entrance a female student identified as Jessica Anderson would later recall a frightening moment while waiting for a relative to pick her up.

“I got out of school around 5:10 p.m.- I noticed two ladies walking out of the parking lot into the street when this black guy came up behind them. Then I heard a shot!” “I saw the smoke from the gun and the ladies began running, and the man ran eastbound with a big black gun in his “right” hand.”

Gasping for breath, the precious life of Jennifer Lewis hung in the balance. The scene was chaotic, pierced with the sound of wailing sirens from Houston Police patrol cars and emergency medical vehicles. Witnesses told arriving police officers that they saw a suspicious “red car” driving off at a high rate of speed at the end of the street headed towards 288 Freeway.

Medical personnel quickly loaded the victim into an ambulance. At high speed with its siren blaring and overhead lights blinking the ambulance raced down 288 freeway towards Ben Taub hospital. Ben Taub Hospital is an elite historical hospital renowned for its superior trauma center. HPD patrol cars flooded the area, blocking off mainline intersections that allowed officers to check out “red cars” fitting the description seen by the witnesses. Doctors worked feverishly to save Jennifer but fate took a bad turn. She died from a gunshot wound that entered her back and exited her chest area. Jennifer’s death was a shocking, sad day for relatives and friends who showed up at the hospital in droves.

“Lord my child is gone,” one of her parents sobbed. Back at the scene a full-scale homicide investigation got underway. Houston Police Sergeant-Homicide Detective Reuben Anderson and John Burmester conducted the preliminary canvass.

A TV news crew showed up and aired a live report for its late evening news. HPD officer C.A. Payne monitored the scene to preserve physical evidence.(Crime Scene Unit) officer J.L. Kay arrived at 1800 hours  to  work his expertise. First, Kay photographed and took video shots of  the scene where the victim collapsed in the street. Officer Kay circled the perimeter numerous times searching for shell casings but none were found.

A Nokia cell phone, an earring, and a plastic blood-stained lunch container were retrieved as evidence. These items belonged to Jennifer Lewis, the victim. Witnesses were shocked into fear that a brazen criminal would shoot a woman on school campus in broad daylight. Detective Anderson and Burmester interviewed witnesses who saw the shooting. “Tell me the best you remember what you saw and how the shooter looked,” Anderson asked a young lady.

“The man I saw do the shooting was a black man, early 20′s, 5″9, very thin, dark complexion, wearing a dark-colored baseball cap, black jeans and tennis shoes.”

A description of the wanted killer by witnesses varied. Yet they all agreed that the suspect was a young black man with a thin build and wearing a cap. Two other witnesses told detectives they saw the suspect jump into a red compact-type car and that another person was driving. One witness remembered the car as a 1991 or 1992 Red Pontiac Sundance with no license tags. Detective Anderson met with the deceased parents and siblings including a current boyfriend identified as Melvin Leon Reed. Reed was employed as a U.S. Postal worker and occasionally he served as an associated pastor. Jennifer Lewis and Melvin Reed were devout christians who frequently attended bible study and attended church together at  East Bethel Baptist church located in Southeast Houston on Calhoun street.  The attractive couple were deeply in love and had been happily engaged to tie the knot.  In a calm tone, Anderson offered condolences to Melvin Reed and Jennifer’s grieving relatives, but as a homicide detective, he had to mentally set his emotions aside to hunt down a killer.

Anderson discovered from relatives that Jennifer Lewis had no enemies, that she didn’t engage in malicious habits and attended church regularly. Also she worked in the medical field and took nursing courses at the college where she was shot to advance her profession. How could their child’s life be tragically taken so soon from them,  the victim’s parents wondered? Those who knew Jennifer were baffled. They could not figure out why someone wanted her dead. She was a pretty, very friendly, classy, young Christian woman, devoted to family, and deep in love with an aspiring pastor.

Cheryl  Allen was a bright young lady who adored Jennifer Lewis. They often rode to nursing college in Cheryl’s  vehicle. She gave Anderson a lengthy statement of the tragic events. “This afternoon I called Jennifer from work and she asked if I would take her boyfriend Melvin Reed home before we went to school.” “After I got off work at V.A. Hospital at 4:30 P.M.—I drove over to Jennifer’s house on Daphne street and picked her and Melvin up at 4:45; then I dropped Melvin off at home near the Astrodome.

“After dropping off Melvin, me and Jennifer continued to school.” As they walked towards the front entrance to enter the building, Cheryl told detectives she thought she heard a car backfire. “When I told Jennifer this,” she said, ‘I been shot.’ ”

“I saw a wound in Jennifer’s chest near her sternum. And while examining the wound I looked out the corner of my eye and saw a man running eastbound.” “We began running but Jennifer collapsed. Cheryl described the shooter as having a medium afro, between 17 and 45, wearing a dirty blue t-shirt and blue jeans. I didn’t get a good look at his face.”

Follow-up Investigation

Sergeant Anderson along with rookie homicide investigator Clarence “C B” Douglas exhaustively worked the case over the course of days that turned into months, and overlapped into the next year of 1994. Together these two homicide investigators chased down leads, no matter how insignificant, leaving no stones unturned. Anderson and Douglas had worked well together after Roy Ferguson, Anderson’s former long-time partner transferred to Houston Police recruiting division.

A lifelong resident of Houston’s Sunnyside, Reuben Anderson, upon returning from Vietnam, joined Houston Police Department as a rookie patrolman in 1970. Less than a year on patrol the young energetic Anderson transferred to narcotic division where he worked alongside legendary narcotic officer E.J. Stringfellow, Billy Williams, Bennie Alcorn, Joe Landrum, Robert Brady, Roy Ferguson, including other notable officers dedicated to sending dope dealers to prison who made a living off human misery by distributing deadly drugs throughout Houston area.

Homicide investigator Clarence Douglas also served in the Vietnam War. He left the military in 1971, and joined Philadelphia Police Department in 1972. Leaving Philly P.D. Douglas joined Houston Police Department in 1982. He transferred to homicide in 1992 from the Hiram Clark Station. Musically gifted, Douglas played guitar for the popular 1970′s Philadelphia  singing group, “The Stylistics”.

Douglas also has a son known in the entertainment business as Bennie Boom. Mr. Boom is a prominent Movie and Music Video Director who has directed music videos for rap legends like P.Diddy Sean Combs and 50 Cents. Boom has directed two feature movies, one called Next Day Air.

In 2011, Mr. Boom was also nominated for Video Director of the year by BET TV Network. “I’m very proud of my son,” investigator Douglas often says when people speak about the young man’s accomplishments in the Entertainment world. For Douglas, the investigator, the thrill of police work is like no other adrenalin rush. Unlike Douglas, his partner  Anderson exuded a tough veneer, the perfect image of a hard-nose cop who impressed upon suspects it was best to get their business straight. Douglas came across as a more caring, understanding kind of guy. But he was no pushover. He knew how to get tough.

Douglas wanted a feel for the scene so along with Anderson,  Douglas returned to Shenandoah street where the crime took place. “How could a woman be shot to death with people packed around the campus during daylight?” Douglas surmised to Anderson. “Whoever did it wanted Jennifer Lewis dead because the person could have shot the girl that Jennifer was walking with,” Anderson theorized. “But the shooter only shot Jennifer.” “No doubt Jennifer was the target,” Douglas agreed. Autopsy report confirmed obvious results: Jennifer Lewis died as result of a gunshot wound; the entry wound appeared to have been fired from a .38 caliber type.

 Who murdered Jennifer Lewis?

Melvin Leon Reed recalled to detectives how Shelia Dillard, an ex-girlfriend, stalked him, burglarizing his apartment and stole his .380 pistol. Further Reed explained, that Shelia, in a fit of rage, stole a beautiful photo of Jennifer that sat on a stereo in Reed’s house. “Shelia wanted us to get back together after I got with Jennifer but I didn’t want too. I loved Jennifer and wanted to make a life with her.” Reed further said he had a son by Shelia named “Little Melvin” and that he often had contact with Shelia through his son.

“After Shelia met Jennifer at my place she called me repeatedly wanting us to get back together. But I wasn’t interested.” Reed’s statement confirmed the sequence of events initially provided by relatives and witnesses who came in contact with Jennifer that tragic day on March 23rd.

Reed said he left work around 11:30 a.m.–and had a friend to drop him off at Jennifer’s house off Scott street. He stayed there with Jennifer reading the bible until Cheryl Allen arrived to pick Jennifer up so they could go to nursing school. On three occasions an unknown person called the Lewis home while Reed was there. Two of the calls came from a man asking for Jennifer and when her parent asked her to come to the phone the caller abruptly hung up. “When I answered one call, the voice made a grunt sound and hung up,” Reed said.

Once Melvin was dropped off he kissed Jennifer goodbye and handed her his cell phone. Later that evening a relative of Jennifer called Melvin by phone informing him of Jennifer getting shot walking to class and that she had died. Referring to Reed’s jilted ex-girlfriend Shelia Dillard, Anderson asked Melvin point-blank.”Do you think she had anything to do with it?” “I don’t know for sure but she may have.” Reed divulged how Shelia once followed him and Jennifer into a Chinese Restaurant in Gulfgate Mall. “Then she stole my .380 automatic pistol  twice!”

Reed explained to investigators. Reed got the gun back but not before Shelia pulled a strange stunt. “During one conversation I had with Shelia on the phone I could hear her hitting the phone with an object and she said, “I’m going to kill myself.’ ”

“Then I heard a shot!” “I started calling her name but she didn’t say anything for five minutes until finally she came back on the phone and resumed talking. I went and picked my gun up.” “I really wouldn’t talk to her afterwards. I kept telling Shelia that she was crazy.”

Shelia Dillard was love-smitten and by any means necessary, she desperately wanted Melvin Reed back into her life. She called Melvin’s phone so repeatedly until he decided to cool her off by answering.

“What is it that you really want?” Reed said he asked Shelia. . “I want that bitch dead,” Reed recalled her saying. “She started laughing and said,” ‘I didn’t mean it because if Jennifer comes up dead everyone will be looking at me.”

Douglas and Anderson instinctively knew from police work that sometimes when people speak of wanting people dead that it’s always possible a person will act.

“What Shelia said when you told her that Jennifer was dead?” Douglas asked Reed in his northern Philly accent. “Shelia said,” ‘Oh no.’ “I swear on my brother’s grave. Shelia insisted to Reed that, ” I don’t have anything to do with Jennifer’s death.

Reed promised detectives he would contact them if he found out who killed Jennifer.

“I think Shelia is involved somehow with Jennifer’s death,” Douglas commented to Anderson. “It appear she may know something; she stalked Melvin and Jennifer, and she threaten to commit suicide and even said she wanted the bitch dead,” Anderson responded. “If she did it she had someone to do it,” Anderson said. “Let’s bring her butt in for questioning and a polygraph,” Anderson suggested.

Shelia Dillard interview

Detectives explained to Shelia that she was a suspect based on certain things she said about Jennifer to her ex-lover Melvin Reed. Shelia denied killing and she denied having someone to kill Jennifer. She admitted to being in love with Melvin Reed and that she was hurt bad when she discovered Reed dating Jennifer. She recalled Police arresting Reed in her car for traffic warrants, and that Jennifer had took the car to Reed’s roomate. Reed later apologized to Shelia for having Jennifer in her car but added that Jennifer had needed a ride home from church.

“On the day Jennifer got killed I was home doing my mother’s and girlfriend hair. And on that day I did not have a car.” Shelia further admitted to detectives that she had stole Reed’s gun to make him come to her home to get it.

“The reason I took Jennifer’s picture from Melvin’s house and ripped it up, because he had had her riding in my car.” Nine days after Jennifer was killed, according to Shelia Dillard, sexual passion flamed between her and Melvin Reed. Shelia recalled the moment with acute clarity. “Melvin Reed called me over to his house and we made love. We have been seeing each other once or twice during the week after that.”

Shelia recalled another intimate moment with Melvin after Jennifer was murdered. “The last time we made love, Melvin wanted us to get in the pool together but we didn’t. But I still spent the night.” Prior to haviing the female suspect to take a polygraph, investigators conversed with the examiner as to which questions the examiner needed to zero in on concerning Shelia knowledge about the homicide.

A polygraph examiner had Shelia to take a lie detector test focused on specific questions: if she murdered Jennifer Lewis or had anyone to do it, and whether or not if she had a red car, or if she knew who killed the victim.

“She passed the test,” the examiner told detectives. Anderson, speaking in a tough-tone voice issued a dire warning to Shelia Dillard: “If we find out you had something to do with Jennifer’s death you’ll be going to the pen for the rest of your life.”

“I didn’t kill her,” Mr. Anderson, the well-dressed suspect declared.  Anderson told Shelia she was free to leave.  Investigators Douglas and Anderson tried another tactic to find the red car seen by witnesses leaving the scene.

Shelia Dillard Spotted in a Red Car

On April 14th, Sergeant Tyson of HPD Major Offenders Division was briefed by investigators about what was needed checked out to aid them to find the “phantom red car.” Investigators explained to Tyson that it was important to find out if Shelia Dillard had connections with anyone driving a Red Pontiac car similar to the one that witnesses saw leaving the murder location in Third Ward. Major Offender officers surveyed the Shelia’s apartment located at 7700 West Airport #215. Surveillance units observed several people walking inside and outside of the targeted apartment until finally officers spotted a Red 1990 Pontiac Sunbird at the apartment where the suspect lived. The vehicle later proved registered to an address at 503 Fawnwood street.

Officers saw Shelia in the Red Pontiac with a black male!

Shelia exited the vehicle and walked inside the apartment. Officers kept close watch as the man in the Red Pontiac drove three other females to a nearby shopping center where they met with another black male in a Red Chevrolet Beretta.

Now two red cars were seen near where Shelia Dillard lived.

After the Red Pontiac driver dropped the women off, officers followed him to 6600 Dumfries street. Detectives were advised of the new developments involving the Red car that Shelia had been riding in. Anderson and Douglas went to the registered address on Fawnwood to speak with the car owner. They discovered from a neighbor that the family had moved to Missouri City, and that the woman’s son who had lived there did drive a Red car. Addditional investigation showed the car belonged to Broderick Franklin who resembled the wanted suspect. Franklin was tall, well-built, and often wore a cap.

When Broderick Franklin received word that homicide investigators were looking for him, he hurried to HPD homicide division and took a polygraph to clear himself. When shown a photo of Shelia Dillard the young man denied knowing her. “She was in your car when you brought her home over on West Airport,” Douglas informed Franklin. “And you dropped off three other women at a shopping center. Franklin jogged his memory and responded. “I remember picking up the three girls but I don’t remember picking up Shelia.” He then explained not having the Red car anymore. It burned up in a fire on May 8th 1993, according to Franklin.

A subsequent polygraph test showed Broderick Franklin told the truth on the following questions:

(1) “Was you at Houston Community College on the day of the shooting of Jennifer Lewis?”

(2) “Do you know who shot the woman and have you ever let someone use your Red Sunbird without you being in it?”

(3) “Do you know Shelia Dillard?”

Detectives were back to square one. As big city homicide detectives other murders had to be solved that needed to be worked on. Still they refused to give up. In between working other cases Anderson and Douglas read the offense report searching for any clues they may have missed. Jennifer’s killer would not go unpunished.

A Call From Harris County Jail

On April 5th 1994, Deputy Price from Harris County jail contacted detectives about an inmate with important information about Jennifer Lewis death. Deputy Price briefed detectives of the interesting details that the inmate had privately told him. Detectives rushed to county jail on Franklin street where they met inmate Patrick Rynell Curry. Curry admitted that his girlfriend Lisa Randall, a close friend of Shelia Dillard had told him that Shelia hired a dope fiend to kill the girl walking to class. “On the day I found out about the murder I heard Shelia tell Lisa, “I got her.” “And Lisa said, do you know what you’ve done?”

Curry said he suspected Shelia was talking about the lady who had been dating Melvin Reed, Shelia’s former boyfriend.

“The next day I saw Melvin on TV talking about his girlfriend who was shot in the back as she walked to class with another girl.” Curry also remembered Shelia telling him and his girlfriend that she passed a polygraph test at the police department by sipping beer and taking a Xanax pill to calm her nerves. This witness swore he was telling the truth.

Leaving county jail the detectives were excited; the adrenalin in their veins pumping faster than a Texas oil well. From beginning both lawmen suspected the hit on Jennifer was connected with Shelia; proving it had not been easy. Detectives rushed into action to find other witnesses with first-hand knowledge about Shelia Dillard’s brutal deed.

Sergeant Tom Ladd partnered with Burmester to assist Douglas and Anderson to bring the case to a final solution. Ladd interviewed a female witness on April 6th at Saint James Rehab Center in Houston. Samari Michelle Dobbins, a close friend of Shelia Dillard, shared her own secret about murder. Samari said Shelia broke down crying implicating herself in the homicide.

(“Me) and Gary Chopp followed Jennifer to school,” Samar recalled Shelia’s words. “And we parked near a track.” When Shelia saw Jennifer, Samari stated, Shelia said to her that she ordered Chopp, “to go get that bitch, go get her.”

After Chopp killed the defenseless victim, Shelia told Samari the hitman ran back to her car and they drove off. Samari further recalled being at Shelia’s apartment on West Airport watching TV news when a report came on about the murder. “Shelia turned to Chopp, and shouted, ‘get rid of that hat.’ ” Embarrassed, Chopp threw the hat into a dumpster outside the apartment.

Meanwhile Shelia, Samari remembered, “paced the floor back and forth, waiting for her brother Darrell Dillard to return with her car. Samari explained to Ladd that Shelia had swapped off her beige-colored Ford to drive a Red Pontiac car that she used in the crime, a car owned by Darrell’s girlfriend named Gail.

“That night, Samari further told Ladd, the 10 P.M. news came on showing a photo of Jennifer Lewis. “And this is when, Little Melvin, Shelia’s son, said, ‘mother that’s my daddy’s girlfriend.’ ”

Then Shelia asked her son if he liked his daddy’s girlfriend, and if he “thought she was pretty.”

With a smile on his face, the young child, replied innocently, “Yeah I like her. She’s pretty momma.”

Ladd cracked a smile about the amusing incident. Samari identified Darrell Dillard as the person who introduced Gary Chopp to his sister, Shelia. And she also revealed the fact she knew Darrell provided the gun, a 38, to Chopp.

Darrell disposed of the gun and Shelia paid Chopp the money for the hit on Jennifer. But there was a catch. Darrell had sold Chopp so much crack cocaine in advance on credit, the money he earned for the murder, he wounded up handing over a total $300 back to Darrell.

Samari consoled Shelia as she sobbed uncontrollably, then according to the witness, Shelia deadpanned. “I didn’t want the bitch dead!” “I’m hurt and I wanted the bitch to be hurt too.”

The Takedown

After taking Samari Dobbins statement, Anderson, Ladd, Burmester and Douglas met at Harris County District Attorney Office where they discussed the evidence with Assistant D.A. Susan Brown.

Brown filed murder charges against Shelia Dillard, Gary Lane Chopp and Darrell Dillard. Lieutnant Knunkel organized detectives and HPD patrol officers to take the suspects down.

Clad in raid jackets, armed with heavy firepower, three different groups of officers during (early morning hours) at 2:a.m., they hit three address simultaneously. Detective Anderson arrested Shelia Dillard at Melvin Reed’s apartment on South Loop West.

Anderson berated Reed for lying about Shelia not being there. “I wanted to take him to jail,” Anderson recalled to this writer.

Four investigators including John Burmester, Mike Peters, George Aldrete and Frank Scoggins arrested hitman Chopp on Heatherbrook. Detective Douglas, Tom Ladd, and A.T. Hermann took Darrell Dillard down on Fondren. All three suspects were transported downtown to the city homicide division.

Truth Comes to Light

Trapped like a wounded animal, Shelia Dillard sobbed heavily until her eyes appeared blood-shot red. She didn’t want to talk with Anderson. He had already put the fear of God in her when he talked to her the first time.

Douglas was her choice. Like a patient mentor, Douglas kindly explained to Shelia that she was carrying a heavy burden, and that she had made the worst mistake in her life. He impressed upon her that he needed to hear the whole story to get everything straight. “Alright Shelia tell me what happened,” Douglas spoke in his gentle tone voice.

Shelia Dillard confessed hiring a heartless killer to murder Jennifer Lewis, a killer that she paid $700 dollars! Detective Douglas listened in awe as this scorned woman recalled masterminding a scheme to eliminate a rival who won the affection of Melvin Reed, a man who Shelia loved too much, and had loved him so much until she killed another woman, standing in her way.

Shelia said after she broke up with Reed in December 1992 that her brother Darrell Dillard made repeated comments indicating, “I looked stressed, had lost weight, and appeared worried over losing Reed to another woman.”

“I told him that I was just sick. But he said he would take care of it and make it alright.” Darrell and his girlfriend named Gail was living with Shelia at the time on West Airport. She would drop them off during the day at a crack house on Darlinghurst street.

“The day before the shooting I was at Melvin Reed’s place and I saw his phone book sitting on the bar. I already knew Jennifer’s phone number. But I didn’t know her address so I looked in the phone book and saw a letter sent to Melvin from Jennifer. I wrote the address on paper. And when Melvin came out of the restroom taking a shower I went home.”

On following day, that she received a “pager beep” that she carried in her purse. When she called the number, Darrell Dillard asked Shelia to meet him at the “crack house”.

Referring to killing Jennifer, Darrell said, “I got someone to take care of everything.”

“I didn’t ask him what he meant,” Shelia offered to Douglas.

After entering the “crack house” Shelia recalled Darrell introduced her to Gary lane Chopp, a drug-addicted hitman ready “asap” for the job.

“This is my buddy named Chopp,” Shelia recalled her brother saying.

Stalking a Victim

Shelia Dillard and her gang stalked Jennifer for hours before she was hunted down and brutally shot to death. Along with Shelia, Chopp and her brother Darrell, the trio drove to Melvin Reed’s apartment located on South Loop West to see if Jennifer was there. When no one answered Shelia’s repeated door “knocks” the suspects left. Having Jennifer’s address off Daphne street, Shelia drove down Daphne street (prounounced Daph-her-nee), along with Chopp riding shotgun. With no sign of the intended victim, Shelia dropped Chopp and Darrell off at the”crack house” on Darlinghurst street.

On March 23rd, Shelia met again with Darrell and Gary Chopp. Chopp, anticipating to shed blood, looked intently into Shelia’s eyes, and said, “I’m going to take care of that girl,” Shelia said to Douglas. The detective boiled with anger over the fact the young woman lost her life over a senseless situation.

“I told Chopp that Jennifer must be home because Melvin was at work. I drove on down Scott street to an Exxon Station on Yellowstone where I called Jennifer’s number from a pay phone. Once I dialed the number I gave the phone to Chopp.”

In a mild-tone voice, Chopp asked, “Is Jennifer there?”

A person who answered the call, said, “she’s here.” Chopp hung up, turned to Shelia, and stated, “she’s there.”

Playing spy games, Shelia and Chopp parked on Daphne street in front of a vacant house watching Jennifer’s address where she lived with her parents. When a suspicious man observed the couple, Chopp exited the vehicle driven by Shelia, walked over to the man, explaining they were waiting on a real estate agent.

Shelia continued. “We were still waiting when Chopp, looking through binoculars saw an uniformed mailman carrying a black briefcase walking across Jennifer’s yard.

“It’s Melvin,” Shelia yelled out. Next, Chopp pressured Shelia to drive to a nearby store so he could buy a cold beer. At the store, Shelia gave Chopp the phone again after dialing Jennifer’s number.

“Is Jennifer there?” Chopp asked. Hearing a man’s voice, the hitman quickly hung up.

Realizing she needed to pick up her children from elementary school, the stake out momentarily ended. After picking up her children, Shelia and Chopp met her brother Darrell along with his girlfriend to exchange vehicles in the parking lot of a popular nightclub called Carrington. Carrington was located off South Main street near 610 loop Freeway. Shelia gave Darrell her beige Ford Topaz and he gave a late model Red Pontiac Sundance that belonged to Gail his girlfriend. The car had dealer’s tag in the window. Darrell convinced his girlfriend Gail that his sister needed to use a different vehicle to take care of some business.

Returning to Daphne street where Jennifer lived, Shelia and Chopp observed Jennifer getting into a vehicle with two people inside. Shelia followed the vehicle to Melvin Reed’s apartment where the driver stopped at the entry gate.

“We stopped on the street and when Chopp jumped out of my car and walked up to the car that Jennifer was in–he saw a security man at the guard shack.”

Unable to strike, Chopp hurried back into Shelia’s car. They followed the vehicle onto the premises. Still undecided how to approach the vehicle the suspects watched as Melvin got out of the car, and handed Jennifer a cell phone. Shelia watched in a state of rage as her former lover passionately kissed Jennifer Lewis, the new woman in his life. Shelia’s heart broke into many pieces. She wanted to cry but more rage took over.

“What happened when you all made it to the campus where Jennifer went to school?” Detective Douglas inquired.

“When we got to the school….Jennifer and another girl went into the parking lot. Chopp told me to drive straight and stop by the Railroad Tracks and keep the car running. I stopped at the tracks, Chopp got out, walked behind the car towards the school with a gun inside a bag.”

“Then I heard a gunshot. I looked up in my mirror, and seen Chopp running towards the car. He got in and told me to go! He still had the gun in his hand.”

Both suspects fled the scene; the getaway car crossed over the tracks as Shelia drove the vehicle onto the 288 freeway. Gripping the steering wheel, she accelerated the gas pedal to a high speed while Chopp pulled off a burgundy shirt and threw it out the window.

“She’s at the hospital,she’ll be alright,” Shelia spoke out loudly. “No, I got her real good in the back; it’ll stop her from breathing,” hitman Chopp shot back with a glare. “I started to shoot the other girl walking with Jennifer, Chopp further said, but I only had two bullets in the gun and had to save a bullet, in case someone tried to catch me.”

Safe at home, Shelia told Douglas she was so upset until she cried out to her friend Samara Dobbins. “I told her that Chopp had shot Jennifer so she got me something to drink to calm me down. We stayed inside and watched the news.” “I got a call from Melvin Reed later that night asking for Jennifer’s picture.

When I asked why he wanted the picture, he said because Jennifer is dead!”

A Cheap Hitman Paid Off

Hitman Gary Chopp was paid off a few days later for killing Jennifer Lewis when Shelia returned to the ‘crack house” where Chopp, her brother Darrell and other small time dealers and users mingled in and out of the residence. Actually Shelia tried to dupe Douglas into believing she never paid Chopp any money for the hit. Instead she insisted she gave money to her brother Darrell to invest in his crack selling hustle in return for a profit on the money she fronted.

“If Darrell gave the money to Chopp it was because Chopp was working for Darrell in the dope house.” Yet what Shelia didn’t know is that her friend Samari Dobbins had already made a detailed statement to police indicating she knew firsthand that Shelia paid Chopp $700 in increments for shooting Jennifer. Dobbins told Detective Anderson and Douglas that Shelia told her that when she saw Jennifer on the campus she had told Chopp, “there go that bitch, go get her. I’m hurt and I wanted the bitch to be hurt.”

Gary Lane Chopp confessed being the hitman who stole the life of a beautiful, progressive, innocent woman, all for a few hundred dollars spent on “crack cocaine.” “I have known Darrell Dillard (Shelia’s brother) for about 4 or 5 years. Last year I was using crack, about 5 or 10 rocks per-day. Darrell was someone I would buy crack from.” “One day Darrell asked me if I would like to make a little money doing something for someone. He said he needed someone hurt and that the job would pay $700.” Darrell, acting as a broker and middleman, told Chopp that out of the $700 that he wanted $400 and that Chopp would get $300!

Chopp resumed his story. “I told him, yeah, I can do that. Then I started getting crack from Darrell on credit. He let me have it so I could do this job for him.” Finally Darrell introduced Chopp to his sister Shelia at the dope house on Darlinghurst. During this initial meeting, Chopp said Shelia impressed upon him that she wanted something done to her boyfriend who worked at the Post Office.

Chopp’s statement pretty much corroborated Shelia’s involvement in Jennifer’s murder except for he told detectives it was Shelia who set everything up; spying on Jennifer’s house with binoculars, exchanging vehicles with her brother, and had went as far as to buy flowers for him to act as a delivery man to get Jennifer to come to her door so he could kill her. Recalling in vivid details how( himself) with Shelia driving the Red car followed Jennifer and her friend from Melvin’s house to the nursing school located off 288 freeway at Macgregor, Chopp stated: “Shelia parked by the Rail Road tracks and I got out of the car and walked up to where the two girls was walking and shot Jennifer. She took off running down the sidewalk when I shot her. Then I ran to the car and we took off.” Next day, Chopp said Darrell told him the woman died. Detectives were repulsed to hear the young woman was murdered by someone who was so cold who took her life to be paid $300!

Detective Anderson gave Darrell Dillard his Miranda rights, explaining he had the “right” to remain silent or have an attorney present during questioning. But Dillard rebuffed detectives by denying accusations leveled against him. Sergeant-Detectives Mike Peters and George Aldrete joined Anderson to coax Dillard into incriminating himself to strengthen the murder case. “I have nothing to do with nobody’s murder,” Dillard told detectives.

When shown a photo of Gary Chopp, the man who Dillard hired for his sister to kill the victim, he denied knowing Chopp. Detectives tried another ploy. Since Gary Chopp had told detectives that he wanted to speak with Dillard, the officers seized this opportunity to have Chopp confront the guy.

“Maybe he’ll break,” Anderson suggested. Once Chopp entered the room he stared at Dillard and said, “You need to get your business straight. Look at us now. If it wasn’t for you, none of us would be here. We’re screwed up because of you!” Dillard acknowledged him, but said nothing in return. Sergeant Peters read Shelia’s statement to Dillard implicating him in the murder, still, he refused to admit involvement. After wrapping up the case, all three suspects charged with murder were placed in city jail.

News Media Coverage

On Friday, April 8th 1994, local TV stations aired several stories highlighting the work done by police that led to solving the case. Houston Chronicle published a feature story about the arrested suspects charged with murder in the 185th Criminal District Court. Houstonians were stunned to hear how a young lady was murdered in cold blood at the hands of a drug-addicted hitman whose share of the $700 payoff, was a pitiful $300. In a perverse way, Gary Lane was a cold piece of work by killing an innocent woman for $300.

Equally disgusting, Chopp, the hitman, never got the money in cash; he owed it for crack cocaine that he purchased in advance from Darrell Dillard, the drug dealer who brokered the murder . Still in mourning yet the arrests satisfied the victim’s parents.

“At first I thought it was a dream,” Bernard Lewis, the victim’s father, told a Chronicle reporter about the 4:a.m. call from detectives.” “To think somebody would take a life on that account, it’s just unbelievable, like an animal so to speak,” Mr. Lewis added. Attending church with friends and prayers to God helped the victim’s parents to cope with the tragedy. “When somebody’s gone, that’s all you can do,” the father lamented.

Detectives were overwhelmingly excited to put the killers behind bars. “We never put the case down,” Douglas told reporters. “We always waited for the final piece. It feels real good. We put in a lot of hours.”

Anderson agreed. “We were ecstatic to call Mr. Lewis and say, we caught your daughter’s killer.

What impulse triggered Shelia Dillard to kill another woman over a man who now neither one would have. Douglas summed it up: “It was all about jealousy.” “Shelia couldn’t stand to lose Melvin to Jennifer. He had broken up with her and wouldn’t take her back, but he still would have sex with Shelia. But Jennifer was the woman he wanted to marry.”

Final Chapter

Convicted murderer Shelia Dillard (inmate#754469) received 50 years in prison on May 31st 1996. A model inmate she now resides at a prison unit in Gatesville Texas. She came up for parole in 2010. Her parole was denied until 2014. Gary Lane Chopp (inmate#739474) got life in prison on November 14th, 1995. He reside at the Clements prison in Amarillo Texas. His next parole date scheduled for 2029.

Darrell Dillard previously made parole on the 20-year sentence that he received for his role in Jennifer Lewis death but currently he’s back in prison serving a long stretch on an unrelated case.

Sergeant-Detective Rueben Anderson retired from the city police department in 2003, the same year he unsuccessfully ran for Harris County Constable Precinct# 7, a top law enforcement position.. Bored with retirement, Anderson returned to Houston Police Department in 2007 to work as an information analyst in the Homicide Cold Case Murder division.

Leaving the department again in 2009, Anderson retired into a dedicated christian life working in the ministry, winning lost souls for Christ.

Sergeant Clarence Douglas left Houston Police Department in March 2005 to work for Recovery Healthcare Corporation. Prior to leaving the city, Douglas worked on the heartbreaking high-profile case of Raysate Knight aka Angel Doe. Raysate was a 6-year-old child killed by her mother and stepfather. Along with Detective Darcus Shorten. Douglas persistent work on the Angel Doe case was featured in Lois Gibson true-crime book: Face of Evil. Gibson is a world-renowned forensic artist.

Gibson’s superior artist work has been listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as “The world’s most successful forensic artist whose sketches has helped law enforcement capture over 1000 wanted criminals.”

It has been 20 years since Jennifer Lewis was murdered. Her remains lie in Houston Memorial Garden Cemetery. But her spirit lives on.

Clarence Walker can be contacted at


  1. Clarence, this story demonstrates that eventually the law wins over evil.

  2. I have worked for Sgt Clarence Douglas at Recovery Healthcare Corporation for only a short time. His exhaustive efforts in service to the Houston community have not been recognized enough. So to you sir, I salute you and may your purpose continue to manifest in the great city of Houston, Texas.

    Thank You,

    Gary Williams
    RET AT&T

  3. I was very close to Jennifer and Melvin. We all went to church together. I still think about my friend more than often and I miss her dearly

    1. I am in the process of producing a True-Crime Documentary on this case. Would anyone associated with the case or has any interest in interviewing, please contact me.

      David Lewis

    2. Did you ever think to warn them against the sin of sexual immorality? That in being immoral they were showing contempt for God and therefore, showing contempt for all life?
      “But among you there must not be EVEN A HINT of sexual immorality, .” – Ephesians 5:3
      Flee from sexual immorality. Every sin that a man or woman does is outside the body, but he or she who commits sexual immorality sins against his or her own body. – 1 Corinthians 6:18
      If you had reverend had upheld the Bible as the moral standard, you would have saved many lives and would not have ushered them into hell.

  4. Wow i was incarcerated with sheila dillard we were good friends..She was such a sweet humble person and has always stated she didnt want that young lady dead…Sad story..

    1. I am in the process of producing a True-Crime Documentary on this case. Would anyone associated with the case or has any interest in interviewing, please contact me.

      David Lewis

    2. Sheila humble, sweet.. you got to be kidding.. Sheila is a monster and if she’s acting humble and sweet its exactly that an Act. She is a selfish, insecure, desperate nut. that thought only of herself. I feel sorry for her innocent son who is also a victim here. Hoping he’s in better hands.

  5. It ‘s sad to hear how that this idiotic man Mr. so called Christian went back to having a sexual relationship with Sheila the women he suspected of killing his so called love of his life Jennifer, so sad. Men.

    1. And he did it weeks after Jennifer’s death… he was still sleeping with that woman

    2. “Men”? Who instigated this whole tragic affair? Yes, that’s right, A WOMAN! And out of pure jealousy. Women are capable of being every bit as twisted as any man.

  6. Everyone deserves forgiveness and people do change..Who are we to continue to judge others based upon their past.

  7. I saw the episode on TV One Fatal Attraction. This story made me sick to my stomach. I was in high school when this happened, but had no idea about the events until last night. A young woman lost her life because of a psychotic woman who was infatuated with a young man who was also worthless, in my opinion. Jennifer certainly didn’t deserve to leave this earth behind Melvin’s crazy ex. I blame Melvin as well because he should have contacted police the very first time the Nutjob Dillard stole his gun. He should have made Jennifer and her family aware that Sheila was crazy and could potentially harm Jennifer. He is just as much the blame as the gun man and the co-conspirators. And then he started a sexual relationship 9 days after Jennifer’s death!!! Are you kidding. I actually thought Melvin may have been involved in Jennifer’s death after that little fact surfaced. He couldn’t have been that in love with Jennifer or that broken up about her MURDER if he could get it up enough to screw the MURDERER. He’s a monster as well. Birds of a feather certainly flock together.

    Everybody involved that knew anything about Sheila’s plan to harm Jennifer, and did nothing, should also have been put in jail. They are all responsible for bringing unnecessary grief to the Lewis family.

    Ladies, be careful when dealing with these trifling men. At the first sign of a crazy ex or an altercation with his crazy ex, RUN and I do mean RUN in the opposite direction. No person is worth the hassle if they have all this drama and baggage trailing behind them, especially baby mama or baby daddy drama. Love you enough to know you can do bad all by yourself.

    And as for Sheila being a changed person. NOT!! Murderers don’t change. And she was going to the same church as Jennifer. For what!! To spy on her. Sheila was a no good, good for nothing, desperate, psychotic animal. Once a monster, WILL ALWAYS AND FOREVER BE A COLD HEARTED MONSTER. I hope she rots in hell and never gets out of prison for the havoc and pain she’s caused.

    1. Hello this is Clarence Walker, the author of the story on Jennifer Lewis death. I agree with most you say about Shelia Dillard and her goon squads. But guess what? Shelia Dillard scheduled for parole review this coming July.

      1. She’s out now. Her brother is out and life goes on.

        1. Tracy, Oprah Winfrey Network is seeking someone to speak about the good character of Shelia before she went to prison. My email:

        2. The brother is back in prison

  8. Just saw this story on Fatal Attractions. It really touched me since my daughter was born on 3/23/93 around the same time the shooting took place. God Bless her soul❤️

  9. I just saw this sad story on ID (Investigation Discovery) it’s ALWAYS sad and sorry when someone loses their life over another persons jealous, senseless issues! I’m interested to see that when Sheila is released will her and Melvin reunite… AGAIN!! Smh… Sheila made parole 5/25/2017 upon completion of a class…

  10. Tracy, Oprah Winfrey Network is seeking someone to speak about the good character of Shelia before she went to prison.

Leave a Reply to Michael Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *